My True Friend @cogdog said that I should use my dollish ways (he’s such a cut up, that was just a role I played once on TV years ago in 1963 on Mr. Rod Serling’s The Twilight Zone show episode called Living Doll, I had the title role) and help my new friends to update their blogs and such.
So here is my post for you. I call it
iamTalkyTina’s ds106 Hints for My New Friends on ds106!!
1. In your WordPress blog, where it says “Hello World,” change it to something different like “My first blog post,” or “Starting ds106.” That way it will be original and not the same as all the others. Maybe you can think up something even more original than my good suggestions.
2. Up at the top underneath it will probably say something like “Just another ds106 blog site” or something that says “Just another … <something>.” It always says that on peoples’ blogs and it’s not very original so change it into something more catchy and fascinating that will make people want to read more. Try something that expresses your personality and keeps our attention. AND up at the top above where it says something like “Just another ds106 blog site” or whatever, make sure it says something different from “MY BLOG.” That is right out. Be your own person and use a title that will set you apart from all the other blogs. Do it now.
3. Plus, if you have made your Twitter account, be sure to put on a picture of something. If you are still a new egg then stop it!, it doesn’t tell us who you are or so and if you put your face on there then people can see who you are. Some people put on a symbol. That makes you more friendly. Friends are important. Eggs are not very important.
4. And put your picture and a name that we can call you on your blog, too, by the way. Or something interesting. Because that is more interesting and tells us more about you than just “My blog” or “My ds106 blog.” Be original and be creative and let your light shine. You can also make a nice “About” page that tells us a bit “about” who you are, what your interests are. You know, so we learn about you as a person, and not just a student.
5. Be sure to make lots of friends with other people in ds106. Friends are the most important thing and they will help you and be your friend when times are tough. Like if you forget to do an assignment until the last minute (don’t do that, Mr. Jim Groom warned you, didn’t he?) then your friends will be there to say something like, “Well, you should have done it sooner, ” or “Didn’t you hear Jim Groom when he said to not leave it until the last minute?” or “I will be a true friend and smack you up along side your head this time if you want so that you won’t do this again next time.” See? Friends are very helpful and kind.
6. Also, this goes back up to number 3 where I told you what to do about Twitter. I forgot to say to also put your blog address on your Twitter page, and put your Twitter name on your blog, and be sure to tweet out whenever you make a new post on your blog. All of these things go together to help your Friends read your work. So do that.
I hope that these helpful tips will get you going! Please remember, I am iamTalkyTina. You can follow me on Twitter at @iamTalkyTina. My blog is here at iamTalkyTina.com. I made a Flickr account for ds106 and my Flickr username is iamTalkyTina. I have a Soundcloud account and my username is iamTalkyTina. I made a YouTube account and my username is iamTalkyTina. I made a gravitar account and my name is iamTalkyTina. I made a WordPress account so that I can comment on WordPress blogs and my username is iamTalkyTina. I probably have a few other accounts that I am not remembering right now, but my username for them is iamTalkyTina, because iamTalkyTina !!
I hope you enjoyed reading my advice to you. ds106 is #4ever — and is only #4life if you die first.